What is 7 Summits Africa?
7 Summits Africa is an annual expedition of regional mountaineering, created by adventurers and conservationists to bring awareness to the unexplored technical mountains on the African continent. A powerful, beautiful, challenging mountaineering experience is possible by combining mountains and ranges in more than one country. The message is Conservation Through Tourism – we need to protect these areas with tourism numbers.
Africa - mountain and adventure destination
#7SummitsAfrica Expeditions showcase the best of African mountaineering – from equatorial glaciers, to jagged peaks and volcanic ash cones. The expedition takes the visitor through three countries – Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania. The Rwenzori range is a fault block mountain rising between two rifts in the African Rift System. Mt Kenya is an ancient extinct volcano, with rugged peaks that sit up U-shaped glacial valleys. Mount Kilimanjaro is a large stratovolcano with its three volcanic cones, Kibo, Mawenzi, and Shira. The expedition will lead the mountaineers to some of the best wildlife experiences in East Africa.
2021 #7SummitsAfrica Expedition
This expedition will take place from 2 November – 3 December 2021. Applications are open and availability limited. The expedition will take you through Uganda, Tanzania and Kenya. You will trudge through mountain bog, and up equatorial glaciers. Sheer drops and dramatic views await you. High altitude technical mountaineering challenges with up to 30 pitches of sheer wall. Bring and carry all your own gear. Be bold. Be brave. Join the expedition.
Conservation through tourism
7 Summits Africa promotes conservation through tourism on the African continent. The project combines amateur and professional mountaineering with Africa’s best wildlife experiences – Mountain Gorilla trekking in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest; encounters with rhino and big cats in Ol Pejeta Conservancy at the foot of Mt Kenya and the great wildebeest migration in the Serengeti National Park in Tanzania.
“Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity…”
7 Summits Africa Mission
- A new adventure tourism product, bringing new visitors to East Africa.
- Increased visitor numbers to national parks and mountains generates tourism revenue. Improved access, facilities, services & mountain safety results.
- Regional tourism growth contributing to long term improvement in protection and conservation of remarkable creatures and ecosystems.
- Successfully train and summit Mt Everest with an all African mountaineering team
7 Summits Africa Objectives
- Showcase the tourism potential of East Africa.
- Attract affluent mountaineers from around the world for future expeditions.
- Select, prepare and train an all African mountaineering team in Africa for a Mt Everest attempt.