What is 7 Summits Africa?
In December 2017, a small team of adventurers successfully completed a “World-First” expedition by climbing 7 mountain summits in Africa in 7 weeks (back to back) in 5 countries. The mountains included Mt Kilimanjaro, Mt Kenya, Mt Stanley & Mt Speke, Mt Meru, Mt Karisimbi and Mt Nyiragongo (active volcano). The achievement has led to a bigger goal – a Pan-Africa Mt Everest Expedition in 2020. The 2018 and 2019 #7SummitsAfrica Expeditions will be utilized for selecting and training an African team for the 2020 Mt Everest attempt.
Africa - mountain and adventure destination
The next two #7SummitsAfrica Expeditions will not only prepare our African mountaineering team for Mt Everest, but it will again showcase the seven African peaks that make up the 7 Summits Africa Expeditions. In addition to marketing African mountaineering, the expedition will also showcase the national parks and wildlife product to a global audience. The expedition will lead the mountaineers to some of the best wildlife experiences in East Africa. Breathtaking wildlife footage will be captured in various mediums. This content will be shared with a global audience in order to promote regional tourism and reinforce the quality of Africa as an adventure destination.
2018 #7SummitsAfrica Expedition
This expedition will take place from 4 November – 6 December 2018. This is Part 1 of the 2020 Mt Everest Expedition selection process. The mountain team will tackle 10 of the highest peaks in Africa in just over 4 weeks. 4 Peaks will be attempted in the Rwenzori Mountains in Uganda, followed by Mt Kenya’s 3 Peaks – Lenana, Nelion and Batian – the latter two being technical climbs. On to Tanzania for Mt Meru, the technical peak of Mawenzi and Uhuru Peak on Mt Kilimanjaro. That’s 10 Peaks in 4 Weeks. Good Luck!
Conservation through tourism
7 Summits Africa promotes conservation through tourism on the African continent. The project combines amateur and professional mountaineering with Africa’s best wildlife experiences – Mountain Gorilla trekking in Virunga (resuming in 2019) and Volcanoes National Parks as well as Bwindi Impenetrable Forest; the great wildebeest migration in the Serengeti and encounters with rhino and big cats in Ol Pejeta Conservancy at the foot of Mt Kenya.
“Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity…”
7 Summits Africa Mission
- A new adventure tourism product, bringing new visitors to East Africa.
- Increased visitor numbers to national parks and mountains generates tourism revenue. Improved access, facilities, services & mountain safety results.
- Regional tourism growth contributing to long term improvement in protection and conservation of remarkable creatures and ecosystems.
- Successfully train and summit Mt Everest with an all African mountaineering team
7 Summits Africa Objectives
- Showcase the tourism potential of East Africa.
- Attract affluent mountaineers from around the world for future expeditions.
- Provide exposure to sponsors in the build up to and during the two Africa based Expeditions and ultimately the 2020 Mt Everest attempt.
- Select, prepare and train the all African mountaineering team in Africa for their 2020 Mt Everest attempt.