7 Summits Africa is sadly forced to remove Mt Nyiragongo from our 2018 itinerary due to the recent instability of the north-east Lake Kivu region, DR Congo. Based on advice from Virunga National Park and Virunga.org have we decided to excluded Mt Nyiragongo and Virunga from our 2018 expedition, and we are re-looking at the itinerary.
7 Summits Africa has 3 options to replace Mt Nyiragongo with the following Summits.
- Mt Baker (4844m) in the Rwenzori mountains, Uganda
- Lenana Mt Kenya (4985m) on Mt Kenya, Kenya
- Mt Mwenzi (5149m) on Kilimanjaro, Tanzania
The other 6 peaks that will make part of the 2018 and 2019 7 Summits Africa expeditions are Mt Karisimbi, Rwanda; Mt Speke and Stanley; Uganda, Batian, Nelion Mt Kenya; Mt Meru and Mt Kilimanjaro, Tanzania.
The 7 Summits Africa 2018 itinerary includes the top 7 highest peaks on the African continent.
- Mt Kilimanjaro 5895m
- Mt Kenya (Batian) 5199m
- Mt Kenya (Nelion) 5188m
- Mt Kilimanjaro (Mawenzi) 5149m
- Mt Stanley (Margharita Peak) 5109m
- Mt Stanley (Alexandra Peak) 5091m
- Mt Stanley (Albert Peak) 5087m
- Lenana point (Mt Kenya) 4985m
- Mt Speke (Rwenzoris) 4890m
- Mt Baker (Rwenzoris) 4844m
And also includes
- Mt Meru (Tanzania) 4565m
- Mt Karisimbi (Rwanda) 4507m
7 Summits Africa stays committed to Virunga National Park and the conservation efforts that are taking place. We will try and include Nyiragongo and Virunga again during our 2019 expedition.
7 Summits Africa will update the change if itinerary as soon as the final summits have been confirmed.